Saturday 29 September 2012

Ibbo Cake Quest Sep 2012



Ibbo Cake Quest

September 2012

On a whim I entered the 2012 Ibbo Cake Quest. 3 distances – Fairy Cake – 60km. Carrot Cake – 110km. And the Fruit Cake at 160km. I chose the Carrot. Unexpectedly that turned out to be my hardest 2012 challenge yet. For the others I’ve done, like the triathlons, I always knew I could finish them, it was just a question of how well I’d do. Hence my targets of top quarter, or top half (depending on the event and the standard of competitors). But yesterday, towards the end, I wasn’t completely sure that I’d be able to complete it.

To explain, I should have brought my time trial bike, as my dad’s bike just doesn’t have low enough gears for some of the hills, and sadly I had to get off and walk the summit of two of them. It is a 5 speed bike from back in the 80s. For the second one, both my thighs were cramping up as I was trying to turn the pedals, and as I accepted defeat and got off to walk the last 50 yards my right calf stated to cramp. At that point I was just hoping that the walk, and the following downhill, would let me recover. Which it did, thankfully.

By then, too, the rain was chucking it down. Velominati.com Rules 5 and 9 applied in spades. On some of the hills as I pushed down on the pedal the back wheel just slipped round. That would be painful as I then crashed back to the saddle. The last part of the course was relatively flat, but there were now rivers of water coming down the road, which made life interesting. Either cars would spray you (though thankfully it seemed to be more people in front me that bore the brunt) or there’d be hidden potholes. I hit one quite hard 3 km from the end and just prayed it didn’t cause a puncture. It didn’t.

And please don’t quibble that as I walked a bit I didn’t do the whole ride. When I was pedalling so slowly due to the steepness, and the gear isn’t low enough, I was in severe risk of just falling off. Which isn’t clever with clipped in shoes! However, I will put it in the diary for 2013, and I will enter with a different bike, and I will aim to knock a minimum of an hour off my time.

And not walk the hills.

No comments: