Saturday 29 June 2013

Grafham Water Olympic Triathlon - Jun 2013



A Salutary Tale

On the Grafham OIympic distance triathlon start-line Pat asked me if I was OK. She could tell, I think, that quite frankly I wasn’t. Sure, I looked the part, wetsuited up, double caps, open water goggles. But inside I wasn’t ready. In an effort to improve my swimming I’ve been having a few one on one lessons with a pro, and I’ve been going to the pool at lunchtimes working on drills. But what I hadn’t done was either a few long distance sessions, nor gone to Lakeside to practice in open water.

The course was an inverted triangle, out, across and back, exiting the water before re-entering to repeat the triangle (6 legs in total, all broadly equal). As the gun went and we ran into the reservoir, my fears were realised. I tried to find an open bit of water, and started to swim. Tried to have relaxed and controlled breathing. Then someone swum over me, and the breathing became forced, I swallowed water, and a sense of foreboding came over me. I’d replied to Pat positively, saying “sure, I’ll be all right” but at that moment I felt anything but. I summoned a canoe, grabbed it, and told my racing heart to calm down, I could do this. I’m only on leg 1 of 6 and already I’m having doubts. I carry on, and again midway through leg 2 the feeling of panic started to overwhelm me. Another canoe, another talking to, and I carried on. Midway through leg 3 I was seriously dreading lap 2.

At the exit point there must have been 100 spectators, and as I left the water there were plenty of shouts of encouragement, so I decided to try again. Of course by now I’m easily at the back, so there were no bodies around me. Ironically my improved technique was now showing, as I was catching the group in front. But then on leg 5 cramp set in my leg. Another canoe, stretching, another talking to, and away I went. I turned into the last leg, and I could semi-relax. I caught a few swimmers and exited to get the bike. There were just 5 swimmers behind me.

The bike went OK – an advantage of being last on the swim is that there are always cyclists in front to aim for. The run was not OK. I felt half the contents of the reservoir were in my stomach, and that is not a good feeling to have when setting off on a 10k run.

So what did I learn? Or rather, what did I forget from last year’s open water swims? Open water swimming is not the same as swimming in a pool with the added complication of dirty water. I know my problem is as much psychological as anything else, but yesterday that knowledge did not help me.

I will turn up at Lakeside, and the next time I won’t be in a canoe as I was last weekend. I’ve done my paddling and now I want to overcome my irrational fears.

How hard can it be to beat 44 minutes, yesterday’s time, when I return to Grafham?

A final congratulations to fellow Tri Sport Epping Athletes. Their results put me to shame:

Andy Bourne - 3rd overall
Pat Green - 1st agegroup
Elisabeth Ross - 2nd agegroup
Mel Barlowe-Kay - 1st agegroup
Kevin Partridge - 1st agegroup
Rob Shepherd - 4th agegroup
Peter van de Bande - 5th agegroup

No comments: